Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Our Heritage, Our Rights, Our History, Our Nation: For better or worse


People used to and still laugh at me when I say that vote. But, even so, this a powerful legacy to be a part of and I will continue to do it. 
 
     On November 6, 2012, I will do what I have always had the privilege to do during my lifetime and take part in our country's electoral process.  It doesn't matter who I vote for; I am not endorsing any candidate on this blog.  However, I felt that i should do some self reflection on why I vote and why the act of voting is so important to me.
 
       My grandfather was an Arkansas sharecropper.  He served in the military during World War 1 as a mess cook.   My grandmother was a school teacher, but my grandfather didn't know how to read.  I do know that for a long time Americans of African descent, like my grandparents, never had the opportunity to cast a ballot in the box without it being detrimental to their own lives.  I know this. 
 
      I also know that my grandfather served his country anyway, and long after his death, my grandmother lived comfortably because of his years of service.  This land has been our land always for better or worse.
     
       Now, I am about to say some things here some may not agree with.  Write your own comments below.  The Civil Rights movement was not all about us being treated fairly or having the same rights.
 
      The movement, the struggle, was about leveling the uneven playing field, gaining a sense of self in a country we were told was never ours, being allowed to live with pride in our selves, our worth.    
       For that to happen, we had to move, we had to believe, and we had to shout with our actions as well as our voices to those who opposed our humanity with ignorance, who marred our beauty with images of buffoonery, who talked down to us and called us names like nigger--- We had to fight.
 
         People, many for no apparent reason whatsoever, died so that I could have the education, the privilege and the pride of calling myself an American citizen.  And today, people still die so that I can have the privilege to live and breathe free.
 
I do this in remembrance of them.  I vote in remembrance of those who tried to speak and were silenced.  Those who fought a good fight.  It is a right and a privilege that I know can be taken away from me at anytime. 
 
       
This land is still ours, for better or worse.  I believe that.  I have always voted because of this.  Not voting doesn't make you or me less than an American either.  Voting straight Republican doesn't mean you have less sense than someone who votes straight Democrat.  Do what you believe, you are free to do so.
 
Just remember someone fought for your privilege.  In your family, and outside of your family. 
 
 
 
       
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment