Sunday, April 7, 2013

The Place to go in North Chicago: Delores's Place 1536 Sheridan Road

April 4, 2013 10 am:  Nogostreetbeat #2 is on the move again.  This time I'm a little closer to home at 1536 Sheridan Road in North Chicago across the street from Abbott Laboratories and next door the post office.




Owner(Pit Master):  Fred Williams; Specialty:  Barbecue
Delores's Place is a new family owned restaurant that has been open for seven weeks in our fair city.  Service with a smile is the first thing on the menu when you walk inside.  The prices are low, and by low I mean really affordable. 

Today, I had the salmon croquettes with scrambled eggs and rice.  It was delicious and completely satisfying.   You can imagine my excitement when the owner of the restaurant Fred Williams agreed to sit down with me for an interview after I ate.  We sat a spell, conversed a little, and then began to discuss in and outs of Delores's Place.

 

How did you come up with the name for Delores’ Place?


Well, I came up with the name of Delores's Place from dealing with my mom, she loved to cook, and we always got together and was always  talking about opening up a restaurant.  So, we decided to try and get something together and we found out that it cost a little bit too much money so we put things on hold.  But, eventually, my mom ended up passing.  And then when I came up to par with a little bit of change then that's where I decided to open it up and decided that I'm going to name this place after my mom.  So, you know, we just wanted to have something to remember her by.

   



Head Cook:  Jimmy Pitts  His specialty?  Well, what do you want?
     I just had the Salmon Croquettes with rice, scrambled eggs and whole wheat toast, and it was very good.  Are all the recipes hers?

No, no.  It's really not.  Everybody has a hand in putting food together here.  My cousin that works here, his name is Jimmy Pitts, he's here cooking back there.  So, what he does, like the Salmon Croquettes are his specialty.  But everybody has their own little specialty that they bring to the place.

       
And Fred Williams, what is your specialty here at Delores's Place?

Well, my specialty is my rib tips and my ribs.  I'm a smoker.   I love to barbecue.  That's one of the main reasons why I opened up my own restaurant.  Just so, I could have a barbecue spot.  I came up with the concept with breakfast also for the fact that my mom was just a great breakfast person.  She and I would love to eat breakfast anytime of the day.  So, I just came up with the concept of when the diner is open to have breakfast anytime that you want from open to close.



How close is the actual restaurant to your original concept?  Or, what did you have in mind when you decided to open Delores's Place?
 

Wow. Well, the original concept of Delores's Place was supposed to be a 1950s-1960s style setting.  But, what it came to be was we decided to just do a barbecue because my dad said  No don't do that.  Just go ahead and do your own barbecue bit.  We don't want to be too old fashioned with it.  His name is Chester Williams. So we decided to just go on and do what my father said and that is how that came to be.


When people eat at Delores’ Place, what do you want them to take from the experience?

The main thing I want them to know is that, when they come in here and eat, the food is delicious and that the money that they spend is worth it.  I want them to be able to eat and get full.  You know, not just to come in and just eat.  Anybody can do that.  No, let's come in, get a full stomach and let's go home in peace.  Let them actually feel comfortable, warm when they leave here.


Let's talk about the menu:  You mentioned breakfast, you mentioned your specialty which is barbecue, but is there any category of cooking that generally defines the food here at Delores's Place?

Yes, we also have the Southern, old school cooking on Sundays.  So we serve the old school food like from 12:00 pm to 4:00 pm.  You know, collard greens, smothered pork chops, smothered chicken, corn pones, macaroni and cheese, pinto beans, and you know, we could go on and on talking about Southern food.  We try to make a variety of different foods out here cause everybody has their own different likings. You know, we started with the breakfast, then we went to the lunch, which is dealing with the ribs and also fast food.  And we have pork chop sandwiches, chicken and philly steaks, other little odds and ends, so that everyone can get a wide variety of foods.

Well, you definitely have that.  Most definitely. You know, a lot of restaurants pride themselves on home cooking, but if we can cook it at home why should we come back to Delores's Place?


Well that brings me back to [my original statement] I want the people to be fulfilled.  I want them to go home feeling that this is a comfortable place, a comfortable environment for them to come in and be able to sit down and talk, drink a cup of coffee and enjoy each other.  You know, it's just a comfortable surrounding.  I love this.  It makes me like when I was young and my father would take me out for a cup of coffee.  And we didn't have that around here for so long.  Now, I can sit around and watch our older people come in, enjoy themselves and have a good time.  I love this, it's great.

And the main thing is it's yours.
   
Yes.  (laughter) Yes it is.

What are the hours here at Delores's Place, Monday thru Friday?

Monday thru Friday, we are open from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm.  And Saturdays, 8:00 am to 6:00 pm.   Sundays we are open, 12:00 pm. to 4:00 pm.

Are you think of expanding the hours in the future? 

We are thinking about expanding the hours, but we're young and we are getting more and more experience at this. And we're working it out.  It's going to take a little time, but we are getting there.

I could say a great deal more about Delores's place but the main thing is that if you live in Lake County, you should come experience the food and the grace yourself.   I mean, you can read about it all day, but wouldn't you rather taste the comfort of home cooking yourself.

I know I would.

Delores's Place is located at 1536 Sheridan Road in North Chicago, Illinois right next door to the post office and across the street from the Abbott parking lot.   Please look over the menu and say hello to the lovely Quinnesha Williams or the equally lovely Alexandra Williams.  Both will take your order with courtesy and a smile.   And don't forget about those ribs.    


    

No comments:

Post a Comment